Thursday, June 2, 2011

Land of how many lakes?

I grew up in the land of 10,000 lakes.  I always thought that was an underestimate.  Everyone lived on a pond, across from one, or on a true lake.  I would recommend swimming in ponds.  They tend to be a bit slimy.  But there was never a shortage of water, boats, water sports.

My grandparents lived on a lake in WI and had a boat.  For holidays, we were always at the lake.  And we all learned how to water ski.  Pretty much after we learned how to walk.  There was this blue floaty thing (that is what we called it - i have no idea what it was other than that).  It had two nylon ropes for handles.  And someone in the family figured out how to tie to a ski rope.  So we would start off by sitting on the blue thing and get pulled around.  Then we would graduate to standing on it.  And then we were given skis.

The blue thing is in the background. 
I clearly remember my first time skiing.  I was 5.5.  It didn't go very well.  These weren't learner type skis.  Old school wooden ones with a stiff plastic boot.  No one told me to let go of the rope if I fell.  So I didn't.  And I couldn't hear everyone yelling at me.  Eventually it stopped.  And it took another summer to try again.

But I did.  And eventually I learned to slalom.  I have tried knee/wake boarding, trick skis, jumping, and even bare foot.

But it has been a long time (maybe 3 years now) since I skied.  And I live in the land of 10,000 lakes again.  And I live in the one county in the entire state that doesn't have a lake.  Seriously.  There are a few man made ones.  But nothing I can ski on.

And I so desperately want to ski.  It's in my bones.  But of all the places we could live, we would have had to pick the dry one.  That may need to change.

2 comments:

  1. ooh - I happen to now live in the county with the most lakes EVER in the state with 10,000 lakes! Come ski!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my only successful time water skiing was with you- in Maryland at Marc's parents place. I'll never forget it ;)

    ReplyDelete