Monday, May 2, 2011

I'm not usually one to comment on political issues

So I went to bed last night as usual.  Don't watch the evening news, because - well - when you live in a rather small city - but one that is big enough to have its "own" news, there really isn't anything worth watching on the news.  Now you could say the same thing about big city news.  Big city news while in medical school included the up to date death count for homicides in the city.  That wasn't really the news I was looking for either.  But small city news consists of ag reports (that's agriculture for all of you big city people).  Yep - several minutes are spent about the current crop reports.  And then there is 10 minutes of local sports news.  But enough about why I don't watch the news and on with the point.

So I got up this morning and opened Facebook.  The first few wall posts all were praising our troops.  I figured I was missing a major holiday or something because I couldn't figure out what all the praise was for.  And then I finally saw someone post about Osama.  And then my heart kind of sunk.  Don't get me wrong - I love our troops and what they do for us and other countries.  Usually.  But I also don't believe in killing someone.  Regardless of what they did.  And it kind of makes me sad that so many people are cheering over the death of someone.  But everyone has their right to react in their own way.  And so I will react in my way.

And here is what I love from someone else's post-

‎"I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment