Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Why buy it if you can make it?

I have a slight obsession.  It started a long time ago.  DIY.  Long before that was even a term or show or anything crazy like that.  Maybe it stemmed from having a dad who was an architect.  I recall him building random things around the house.  Or taking apart our big tricycle and the little one and combining the parts together to make a really random tricycle.

The first thing I remember making was a banana stand.  My mom had mentioned something about one and had described what it looked like.  She and my step-dad left to go somewhere and I had the brilliant idea of making one.  I was maybe 12 or 13 at the time.  There was no google to look up directions.  No internet to find pictures.  Just the description my mom gave me and a bored teenager to put it all together.  I found some pieces of wood in the garage.  I found a drill and a saw.  And I made one.  It wasn't pretty, but I glued the heck out of it and slapped some stain on it.  And there you go - a banana holder.  My parents still have it to this day.  Granted I think it is in a cupboard or back in the garage, but it was actually used for quite a long time.  

And that was the start of the DIY obsession.  Here is a short list of the things I have made since then - because again I refuse to pay for what I think I can make on my own for cheaper and in not too much time.  The later part often proves wrong so there are a lot of half finished projects around our house!

Oak desk                               Sideboard table
Nightstand                             Bench
Stool                                      Halloween costumes
Quilts                                     Dress
Duvet covers                          Shirts
Crib bedding                          Headboards
Scarves                                   Sweaters
Diaper sprayer

And probably lots of other things.  And I have these need to reuse things instead of throwing them out and buying replacements just because I want something different.  Like reupholstering a donated chair - twice.  And restraining a dresser - twice.  Oh yeah - I may or may not have remodeled all of the bathrooms in our first house.  Including the plumbing and electrical.  I may have screwed those both up enough that we had to hire a plumber and an electrician to fix it.  Just maybe that was the case.

And you may just read about some of these projects and how I did them on this blog.

EDIT: Or maybe it was the fact that my parents built our house.  Literally.  Themselves.  While my mom was pregnant with me.  And there may be numerous oddities to prove that they weren't construction builders.

No comments:

Post a Comment