Thursday, April 14, 2011

Doogie Howser

No post yesterday.  Way too fatigued.  Still am today, but I think if I don't get in to writing, this will quickly go by the wayside.  This week has just been filled with some of the not so pleasant things a pediatrician sometimes (and a neonatologist even more rarely) has to deal with.
So I mentioned that this blog is going to be about some various topics.  One of those is medicine and my job as a physician.  So I figured I should start with how I ended up in medicine.

I think I was destined to be a physician.  At times I really tried hard to not admit that.  But eventually it was undeniable.  While some kids found stray animals to take care of, I found stray babies.  Well maybe not strays, but I found babies.  And I always seemed to have friends or acquaintences that were ill.  I wrote a report on cancer when a girl in elementary school got diagnosed with leukemia.  I also may have read my mom's nursing books.  For fun.  When I was 7 or 8.  I may have diagnosed my sister with appendicitis (by reading said nursing book) around that same time.  And that was pre wiki.

I have had two friends that also made a huge impact on me.  Both of them had cystic fibrosis.  Both are playing music in heaven now.  Some day I will tell you more about seeing them live their lives and how I have the most admiration for what people with CF have to deal with.

But for today - I am just glad that I have my munchkin and tank to hug and kiss at the end of the day.  And that they are healthy and thriving.

No comments:

Post a Comment