Sunday, April 17, 2011

DIY: Granola Bars

Short post tonight.  So on Sunday's I like to cook up a bunch of stuff that will last for a couple of weeks.  Two weeks ago I spent the entire day making baby food and scones.  Today it was yogurt and granola bars.  And it actually didn't take long at all.  It was my first attempt at making yogurt and the granola bars.  But man they are both good.  The tank ate an entire cup of yogurt with green beans mixed in.  So I think he likes it too.

The goal of the granola bars was to make a high calorie snack for the munchkin.  Guess what.  She doesn't like them.  Because they don't come individually wrapped.  So now guess who is going to eat the high calorie snack.  Um - the two people who don't need to.

So here's the recipe.  I adapted it from here.  I think you could mix in just about anything.  But here is my version.


Granola Mom's bars
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter
10 oz sweetened condensed milk

Preheat oven to 350.
1. Pulse oats and sunflower seeds in food chopper/processor (I used my mini chopper and did this in batches).
2. Mix oats, sunflower seeds, chocolate chips in large bowl.
3. Mix in PB and cond milk.
4. Make sure everything is moist.
5. Grease 9x13 pan.
6. Place mixture in pan and smooth out with spatula.
7. Cook for 18-20 minutes.
8. Cut up once cooled.

The bottoms got a bit golden brown.  I think next time I will line tray with parchment paper instead.
The whole batch has about 4000 calories in it.  So depending on the size that you cut, they may be fairly high in calories.  But quite filling.

I have lots more ideas about how to change this up a bit.  Let's just say there may be a version with bacon in it.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment