Monday, April 25, 2011

DIY: Baby gifts

When the opportunity arises, I prefer to make my own things.  I may have mentioned that before.  While in medical school, one of my friends was pregnant.  I was on a slower rotation and so I decided to make a baby gift.  It was a quilt.  From that point I made a few more, but then realized I really don't have the time.  And it really isn't a portable project.  So then I tried knitting or crocheting sweaters.  They were great but again a bit time consuming.  So I have moved on.  Now it is wipes holders/clutch and headbands.

So here is how I make a cute baby wipes holder.

Things you will need:
1. Wipes holder - this is actually hard to find.  Most now have the pop up center, and I prefer to use just the hinged kind.
2. Fabric to cover the container (I have been using scrap fabric from the quilt projects.)
3. Fleece or batting
4. Ribbon
5. Button or flower or some sort of little decoration
6. Glue gun
7. Spray adhesive

Step 1: Cover wipes container top and bottom with either layer of fleece or batting.  Don't cover the sides.
  I like fleece better as it feels smoother when done, but in these pictures I used batting.
  I attach this to the container with spray adhesive.
Step 2: Cut fabric in 2 pieces to cover front and back.  Make sure you have enough to wrap the sides with.   Don't worry about the edges as they will be covered with ribbon.  Try to cut just enough as it is hard to cut the excess off once glued down.  I may or may not have to cut 4 pieces to do the above project.  I am not exact.  I usually just guess on how to do all of this stuff.  Sometimes I am wrong.
Step 3:  Use light amount of spray adhesive and spray fleece/batting.  Then press fabric lightly to fleece.  Don't spray too much or press too hard.  The adhesive will soak into fabric and you will be able to see it.  Again - may have had to do this a few times in the pictured project.  I think the batting makes this happen easier than fleece.  The goal is to just gently secure the fabric.
Step 4: Use glue gun and secure fabric to the sides.  At the corners try to make a nice little fold.  You may need to trim the corners to make them look neat.  But again the actual edges will be covered by ribbon.
Step 5:  Use glue gun and glue ribbon all around one edge (all bottom edges).
Step 6: Cut a piece of ribbon the width of holder.  Glue ends and a dot in the middle.   Position piece so that is about 1/4 of the way from opening edge.  (See picture for reference)
Step 7: Glue piece of ribbon all around top edges.
Step 8: Glue button/flower/decoration to middle of ribbon that is running across top of container.  (Sorry don't have picture of that last step.)

That's it.  A much quicker baby gift item than a say a quilt of sweater.

I also have some birds eye cloth diapers/burp cloths.  You can take a strip of matching fabric and sew it down the middle of the diaper to create a matching burp cloth.

No comments:

Post a Comment